As well as larking around with stories, these days I have an official title which I could probably even capitalise if I wanted. I’m co-director of editorial services for publishers at the agency Prepare to Publish Ltd. It’s my buddy Andrew’s company and I just joined in.
We provide a top-to-tail editorial service for book publishers, which includes structural edit, copy edit and proofreading. Because we’re writers ourselves we offer writers and publishers the sort of service we would want to receive.
Publishers hand us a manuscript and an author, and an agreed number of weeks later we hand back an engaged author and an edited book. Have a look at some of the things we do and the people we work with at the Prepare to Publish website.
I am an Associate Lecturer at the Oxford International Centre for Publishing.
I teach widely, bringing the storytelling wisdom of screenwriting into the practice of prose fiction, as well as relating new developments in narrative art. My teaching philosophy is that having written and edited widely, I’ve made pretty much every mistake going, and I want to save you the bother of all those hours I spent weeping and gnashing at the desk.
Alongside Jericho Writers, and the publisher and writer Amanda Saint, we’ve devised the most comprehensive how to write a novel writing course we think you can find anywhere on the market. We had a damn good scout of the competition and are pretty confident that the Ultimate Novel Writing Course delivers on content and price.
- Staying On launch, 7pm, 25 October 2018, Jam Factory, Oxford: ALL WELCOME
- How to Get Published Day, Jericho Writers, London, 17 November
- Short Stories Aloud, Blackwell’s Oxford, 20 November 2018
- Workshops at York Festival of Writing, 7-9 September 2018
- The Screenwriting Retreat, 18-22 June 2018
- ‘Character is Destiny: linking plot with character and theme’, workshop at Manchester Writing School, 17 March 2018
Exclusive free story when you sign up to an infrequent newsletter: